We have been concerned about child labour and slavery in the chocolate industry particularly in West Africa.
We recognise that you started the Cocoa Plan Program in response and that it has been a process of development. We want to THANK YOU particularly for :
- Leadership in CLMRS (Child Labour Monitoring Remediation Scheme) development
- In place in all the cocoa cooperatives we source from in Cote d’Ivoire and over 75% of the districts you buy from in Ghana with a 2025 target of 100% of cocoa cooperatives being covered by 2025
- Transparency of your work in this area and the FLA (Fair Labour Association) evaluations
- The ‘Tackling Child Labour’ reports of 2017 and 2019 produced by Nestlé with assistance from the International Cocoa Initiative (ICI)
- Work with ICI in education and strategy development to combat child labour
You have led the entire industry on these issues and we want to say thank you.
Looking forward to the shared responsibility across all the sectors in bringing about a better life for farming families and communities.